At Shoal Creek Prosthodontic Group, if you aren’t using dental floss daily, we understand that it can be challenging to turn this into a habit. However, once you begin a proper flossing regimen, healthy teeth, a white smile, and fresh breath is only a few benefits you will reap. Those who floss daily tend to experience fewer cavities and less tartar and plaque buildup that can lead to tooth decay. Here are some tips to utilize in between professional cleanings.
- Break off about 18 inches of floss and wind most of it around one of your middle fingers. Wind the remaining floss around the same finger of the opposite hand. This finger will take up the floss as it becomes dirty.
- Hold the floss tightly between your thumb and forefingers.
- Guide the floss between your teeth using a gentle rubbing motion. Never snap the floss into the gums.
- When the floss reaches the gum line, curve it into a “C” shape against one tooth. Gently slide it into the space between the gum and tooth.
- Hold the floss tightly against the tooth. Gently rub the side of the tooth, moving the floss away from the gum with up and down motions. Repeat this method in the rest of your teeth. Don’t forget the back side of your last tooth.
If you have questions about how to maintain a proper oral hygiene routine, give us a call. To learn more about dental health as well as services we provide, visit www.fredrickshawdds.com for more information. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Fredrick Shaw in Austin, TX, call 512-451-7491.